So Let me guess, you are asking yourself, How Do I start a Blog in 2018?
So much information can be found online, so many people are telling you about this topic.
- Where does a person start?
- Who should be listened too?
I know it might be confusing but I used to be a Newbie too.
This isn’t my first blog.
I actually started way back in high school with an account on Xanga, now I feel old. This, unfortunately, got hacked, so I then deleted it.
I even had a blog for when I was doing a semester abroad in Italy. As well a few more along the way.
Now, I know a thing or two about blogging and I would say, I am doing pretty well for myself.
I will say, please do not think that travel is the only thing that a person can blog about. People blog about all kinds of things, like Sports, being a Mom, Fitness, Money, School etc… Literally, any topic you can think of someone is probably blogging about it, so why can’t you?
With just a little bit of effort, blogging can be simple and fun!
First, Why Start a Blog?
What is the point in having a blog, why even start one? Well, people start blogs for all kinds of reasons. Here are some of the top reasons why people choose to start a blog.
- You just want to write. Lots of people just want to write about their experiences and share their stories. A blog is a terrific way to do that and to build a community around what you are doing.
- Exposure to a business or organization. Reaching a bigger audience is something that every business or organization wants. A blog is a great way to do just that and one that is very cost and time efficient.
- Make Money Online. Making money online while working from home in your pajamas is something a lot of people want. A blog is something that you can make a little extra money from or even make a full-time income and then some, it will all depend on how much effort you put into it. While it can be hard work, it is low risk and low cost.
Steps to Starting a WordPress Blog in 2018
These are my 5 basic steps to starting a WordPress blog. Five steps is not too bad, right?
- Decide what to Blog About
- Pick a Host & Domain Name
- Install & Setup WordPress
- Design Your Blog
- Launch Your Blog
FAQ: How much does a blog cost?
So the type of blog that I am going to show you does have a few relatively small upfront costs. However, once you get started you can continue and maintain your blog for around $5-$15 per month. As your blog grows and starts to make you money, so can your budget for a nicer and better blog with more bells and whistles.
FAQ: Can I start a blog for free?
Yes, there are a few free blogging platforms. However just like everything else that is typically free in life the options and ways to do things are limited.
- The design and how to making everything look is limited.
- How to make money is limited.
- If you decide you want to move to something else it can be very hard to change to a different platform without spending a lot of money.
Step 1: Decide What to Blog About
So, obviously, if you are starting a blog for your business or organization, then it should be very clear and obvious what you should be writing about.
However, if you are starting a blog on your own then you have a lot of flexibility on what you want to write about.
I go into more depth on picking a blogging topic here but the main takeaways are below.
As mentioned earlier you can literally write about whatever you want. A few key points I must mention are these.
- Write about something you like. When you write about something you like it will make the time and effort you put into the blog much more fulfilling and enjoyable. If you are writing about something that you don’t really like then the time spent writing and working on the blog can start to feel more like a punishment versus something you want to do or be successful with.
- Blog about something that has room to talk about. Yes, I have seen entire youtube channels dedicated to just mattresses and MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat, essentially military rations) but they found a way to keep making content around these topics. So make sure your topic has plenty of things to write/talk about or get ready to be very creative.
- Pick something where you can make yourself a go-to authority figure in. This will allow for a lot of doors to open up for you. I can basically guarantee that you will not be the first person to write/talk about whatever it is you pick. However, don’t worry about that. You have to get started somewhere.
FAQ: What if I can’t decide what to blog about?
I would say this, start anyways! The thing with blogging is that you can write about whatever you want. Lots of people even start with one topic and then start writing about another. Take this blog as an example. I write about essentially 3 topics, Travel, Teaching Abroad, and Blogging. I have also written about other topics as well. So don’t feel like you are stuck with the first thing that you pick either. The only way to truly find out what you want is to just get started.
Step 2: Pick a Host & Domain Name
I know what you are thinking, what is a host? Well, to put it simply a host is a place that contains your website so that people from all around the world can view and access your work.
For your blog to be “online” and accessible, you need server space. You get this server space from a hosting company aka… A “host”
I have a feeling many of you might be asking now. What Host Should I Use?
I recommend a host I have personally paid for, did a lot of research on, and am currently using right now to host this website that you are currently looking at!
Click Here to go to → InMotion Hosting ← And Start Your Own Blog!
The Link above will open in a new window and you can use this page as a reference as you get everything set up.
Try not to worry if the images are slightly different from what you see here. InMotion Hosting is always trying to improve things and make a better experience for its customers. However, the process is the same. Hey, you might even find that they have a sale!
First, let me explain to you what a domain name is. A domain name is simply the address for your website. For Example, the domain of this site is travelbybroom.com.
If you do not already have a domain name or an idea of what you want, you can always just use your own name or think of something catchy and shareable. One Great way to think of a good domain name is by going to Shopify and using their Business Name Generator.
Step 3: Install and Setup WordPress
Before You Install WordPress on Your site You need to make sure your domain is HTTPS and not HTTP.
Why do you need to do this? Well, in short, it’s for security.
After you change the HTTP to HTTPS you will go to your hosting dashboard or cPanel and install WordPress.
After you Install WordPress, before you do anything else here are a few housekeeping things for you to do.
- Change your Permalinks – I give instructions on to do so Here.
FAQ: How do I change from HTTP to HTTPS on InMotion Hosting?
Step 4: Design Your Blog
Step 5: Launch Your Blog
FAQ: How do I log back into my WordPress site once I log out?
A basic roadmap to get you started is below.
- Write your About Page.
- Write your First Post.
- Once you have a few great posts published, get your social media game going. I help you out on that Here.